Monday, March 30, 2020

Night Stand With Open Shelf

First we'll start with the design process. My favourite way to design is to put the basic parameters of what I"m looking to do into Google Image Search and to copy every picture that I like into a single folder on my desktop. I don't necessarily have to like everything about the picture but if there is a specific element I like like a foot rail or a side view I copy it. This can sometimes take weeks and I often have to use the Google feature where you see one picture you like and then select 'See More' to see similar images. In this case the input criteria were;
1) Night stand
2) Open shelf
3) Oak
4) Drawers
5) Grey
This particular night stand was for my son Carter and he was specifically interested in something that was grey and had an open shelf.
The overall dimensions were based on another night stand that I had that at the time seemed well proportioned. In hindsight I really should have decided to go taller. When I made the previous set of night stands we had an older mattress set that was quite low. Since that time, it seems that mattresses and box springs have gotten taller. My key message here is to pick a height that matches your bed and then create proportions that look good. My dimensions ended up being 24 inches tall with a top that was 16 inches deep and 19 inches wide. The posts are 1 3/4 and the the drawer fronts were sized to match the wood I had with the remaining space going to the open shelf. Construction was mortise and tenon with a dovetailed top rail. All of the panels are 1/4 inch plywood. I had originally planned on doing round pulls but we found some nice handles at the hardware store and switched last minute. The one element I wasn't super happy with was putting plywood in the open shelf area. I choose to just place it against the outside plywood. If I did it again I think I would have it cover the rails for a cleaner look.
The finish was a grey Minwax stain with a Minwax wipe on poly. I use the wipe-on poly all the time and I love it. I just have to remember to keep each coat very thin or it can drip. The stain from Minwax is the bane of my existence. I often use it on oak and it never works out well. It soaks into the poor and then bleeds for days. I've had good experiences with aniline dies. It's more forgiving and doesn't bleed so you can move to the finish coat much quicker. I really must remember to stop buying the Minwax wipe on stain and preferably will just avoid staining in general. The client however wanted grey so we went with the stain.

I wasn't too sure about the open shelf when it was first presented but in the end I think it was a great idea. This way you can have your water, clock,  lamp and glasses on top and hide your books in an easy to access nook.

No comments:

Post a Comment