Thursday, May 26, 2016
The build itself was inspired by a video on that site that showed a simple solution to small part storage. (http://www.tested.com/art/makers/45036-inside-adam-savages-man-cave-the-tool-boxes/) That product was too expensive for me so I started looking for some cheaper options that served the same purpose. I settled on some relatively cost effective containers from Stanley and Mastercraft. They have many small containers and you can mix and match the sizes.
The cabinet was sized around efficient use of 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch plywood and the containers themselves. It's on wheels so I can move it around the shop easily and it's great being able to bring the parts to my bench when I need them. The clear container tops help too. It may seem tall and skinny but it's surprisingly stable. I don't think I'll have to worry about it falling over and even if it does, all the containers lock so nothing spills. I haven't bought all the containers yet but will purchase more as I need them.
The finish was just some left over outdoor stain from my fence.
Saturday, January 30, 2016
1) Try out wiring.
2) Not build the entire cabinet.
3) Try out a Raspberry Pi.
4) Keep things cheap.
As mentioned there are a lot of great resources out there for this kind of thing. www.PiPlay.org was a great location for the software for the PI and www.instructables.com had several good posts with the necessary steps.
This whole project took about three weeks of evenings from planning start to completion so it really doesn't take a lot of time to get something functional. So far I've managed to install Super Mario Brothers which was my favourite game as a kid. Now I don't have to share with my brothers.