Saturday, November 23, 2013

A Woodworkers Wood Turning Hanging Tool Chest

I am a woodworker and not a woodturner. I also get the sense that most woodturners are not woodworkers. (There are of course notable exceptions especially when it comes to Shaker furniture.) The reason I've come to this conclusion was because of how difficult it was to find any pictures of cabinets for woodturning tools. Most turners seem to throw their tools in some PVC pipe and call it a day. I only intend to do simple projects and pieces for furniture when I'm turning and I didn't want my turning tools ending up all over the shop. This includes the tools and the lathe accessories.
After some research I worked out the features I felt I needed.
1) Enough room for my starter turning set.
2) A couple shelves for checks etc.
3) Some drawers for bits and pieces.
4) A door. (To keep the woodworking dust out.)
The dimensions came during the design process. The tools had to be spread out enough to get your fingers around them and I wanted at least one spare spot. This meant a width of 20". I figured a 1.5 to 1 ratio was good which left the height at 30". After that it was just a matter of picking inside dimensions that fit the tools.
I purchased a Forrester finger jointing blade and used the 3/8" size for the joinery. The drawers were are pinned lap joints with a hole for a pull. I sized the drawers based on a few accessories I needed to store. The door panel is a terrible piece of shop grade plywood that I cleaned up by filling the holes and using a half can of old spray paint. The door handle is a traditional ring pull. I've done a few turning projects since this was created and it's very nice being able to put all my tools away when I'm done and not have to worry about them. I now realize I need to do the same for my woodworking tools. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I am a woodworker too, not a wood turner but I do some turning. I really like your lathe tool cabinet. The lathe tools are so expensive I hate laying them around the lathe. On my wall shelf I made a tray to hold my lathe tools. You can see it in the background of picture on my page; http://michaelswoodcraft.wordpress.com/

    Michael :-)

    ReplyDelete